Women tend to rely on friends during times of stress.  When I ask women what is their greatest support during times of stress one of the top three answers is friends.  Why is that?

A UCLA study shows that when women are under stress, the hormone oxytocin is released. This hormone causes us to gravitate toward “tending or befriending”. We tend the children/family or see our friends. This action of tending or befriending causes the body to release more oxytocin.  Estrogen also enhances oxytocin and increases this stress response. Men however respond to stress differently.  Although men do produce oxytocin, the male hormone testosterone dampens the “tending and befriending” effect. This may explain why when women are stressed we call our friends or gather family around, but when men are stressed they want to work on the car or play golf.

It is also true that when women get together, we usually commiserate and share experiences. And much of our commiserating and
sharing is performed over food. Women want to share, to know that someone else has been, is, or thinks she could be where we are, and even if our friends are not where we are, we at least want them to give us support.

How about when our significant other buys us kitchen accessories for our birthday. A good friend will say, “Tell me he did not buy you a new oven mitt!” I suspect this would not happen with men. Let’s visualize it – a group of men watching the game and during
a commercial saying “Man, I can’t believe she got you new underwear for Father’s Day!”

Study after study has found that social ties reduce our risk of disease by lowering blood pressure, heart rate, and cholesterol. In one study, for example, researchers found that people who had no friends increased their risk of death over a 6-month period. And in another study, those who had the most friends over a 9-year period cut their risk of death by more than 60%!

Friends are also helping us live better. The Nurses' Health Study from Harvard Medical School found that the more friends women had, the less likely they were to develop physical impairments and the more likely they were to be leading a joyful life. In fact, the results were so significant, the researchers concluded, that not having close friends or confidants was as detrimental to your health as smoking or carrying extra weight! Check that - this does not mean because you have a lot of great friends you can smoke
and be overweight.

So if friends are so good for us, why are they the first things (after exercise) that gets the ax when we are overwhelmed or stressed?  It seems the busier we get with family commitments, work, and volunteering the less effort we make to be with friends.  Even though research shows that is exactly what we need.  We either put them on the back burner or take them off the stove completely.  I’ll never forget the time I was so busy one of my great friends called to set up lunch. Of course I put her off, then scheduled and had to cancel twice.  Later she told me she had really needed to see me. I said “why didn’t you say that and I would have made the time!” She just looked at me and said “Well,  I called three times!” This goes to show that sometimes when we are under stress we do the opposite of what we need. That's a mistake ladies, because women are such a source of strength to each
other.

Don’t ignore good relationships; it can be hazardous to your health.

Go call a friend for coffee or lunch, plan a weekend away,  or just take a long walk and talk about anything and everything. It may just be the best thing you’ve done for yourself in a long time.

Comments

03/26/2014 4:32am

Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before. Thanks for making such a cool post.

05/13/2014 3:04am

The technology in knowledge mold it plain further comfy that labels as that force test constructive in advancing pupil lore besides might be deliberate in how singles deport. The technology can quote to matter targets of handle to mercy.

05/16/2014 1:26am

Hey, just looking around some blogs, seems a fairly nice platform you are applying. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites however looking to change one over to a platform much like yours as a trial run run. Anything in particular you'll recommend about it?

05/21/2014 3:20am

Hrmm that was odd, my comment got swallowed. Anyway I wanted to express that it's nice to understand that someone else also mentioned this when i had trouble finding the same info elsewhere. This was the 1st place that told me the response. Thanks.

06/01/2014 12:18am

Outstanding blog post, I have marked your site so ideally I’ll see much more on this subject in the foreseeable future.

06/01/2014 1:22am

The first time I came here, less than 10 seconds the display is perfectly open, and the loading is completed less than 20 seconds and to open the article only took about 7 seconds. So I think this is very fast! Incredible! Trying to maintain!

06/04/2014 7:00am

Thanks for sharing these info with us! this is a great site. I really like it. Thank you for the site. May God bless you in all your works.

06/07/2014 10:36pm

Wow! I am really impressed by the way you detailed out everything. It is really going to help me a lot. Thanks for sharing your thoughts so clearly.

A lot of people in the world want to have the great results in their studies that will allow them to get good jobs in their relevant fields. If you are one of those people who want to have good quality content in their essays from here you can get this great content.

06/23/2014 6:56am

Classy hand bags, colorful bangles, jewelry and the hair extensions are the things most common in the women who like to style differently and always have a new and different look. If you are the one who do the same things here are the best new wigs that are good for you. So try the wigs and enjoy your style.

06/27/2014 8:18am

In older days the only concept of wearing clothes were to cover your body and people cut their hairs when they grow out so long but nowadays this concept has been changed and people wear different clothes to look good.

07/02/2014 11:22pm

A very informative site. The way you have share this information is really very appreciative. Hope to see more on this topic here. Thanks for posting this information here.

07/03/2014 10:21am

Another great post, I appreciate all the work you put into this site, helping out others with your fun and creative works.

07/04/2014 6:45am

The limousines that we have today are really focused around an extended out form of enormous vehicles. These Rolls Royce Phantom Hire limousines are portrayed by a sliding glass window that goes between the traveler and driver keeping in mind the end goal to give the traveler the security that he or she may need.

07/13/2014 8:01am

Pretty cool post. It’s really very nice and useful post.Thanks for sharing this with us!it’s my first visit.

07/17/2014 10:54pm

Thank you your page is very usefull for me. I feel very happy when found your page.

Education is a procedure which modifies the behavior of a person. It put him in a better place the he was in previously. It makes him a human being in true sense. It teaches him morals and ethics of living a life.

07/21/2014 10:01pm

Advantageously, the article is really the best on this notable topic. I harmonize with your conclusions and will thirstily look forward to your approaching updates

Want Dr. J's Blog sent to your email? Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Knowing the Difference Makes a Difference

If we are so different, why aren’t our health issues addressed differently? Why don’t men and women understand how different they are and how it matters to their health and well-being?

This blog will seek to explore the difference, the sameness, and everything in between. As a sex and gender medicine expert, I hope you will learn to ask the questions – “Am I different?” and “Does it matter?” – then find the answer!  Not only for ourselves, but for our daughters, our spouses, sons, friends, and family  - knowing the difference makes a difference!

Author

Dr. Marjorie Jenkins has been practicing  Sex and Gender Medicine for ten years in an academic setting. The mother of three children and an active clinician, her passion is providing the best care for everyone. She believes that the only way to provide the best care is to KNOW THE DIFFERENCE and apply it to patient care and MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

(Listen to Dr. Jenkins's online!)